Saturday, October 30, 2010

Quickie: Friday, October 29, 2010

In this Quickie post, I'm going to post a few thoughts on shows I'm watching "in the background" as it were. These are shows that I won't be writing about every week because I'm still catching up with them, but I wanted to throw out a post just to show that I am, in fact, aware of them. No spoilers please!

Terriers 1.03 "Change Partners"

Yeah, without a doubt, this is the show to save this fall. I was digging the vibe of the show in the first couple of episodes, but the story was mostly just sliding across my glazed-over eyeballs until NOW. Especially loved the story with Britt and Katie -- their open and honest communication about past misdeeds is refreshing, particularly against Hank's own inability to say "no" to his ex-wife and her new fiance. And that ending... damn. Must-see TV.

Supernatural 1.01 "Pilot"

Whoa, hit me with your best shot! Despite the pedigree, and the crossover of Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel fans, I wasn't sure how I was going to take the first episode of this one. But right away, there are layers of storytelling at work visually and thematically. The focus is specifically on Sam, but is an excellent way of grounding the "demon hunting business" in tangible (or intangible, as the case may be) emotional connections. I like the brothers just fine for now, but it might take a while for me to warm up to them -- but as it took a season and a half for Angel to become a wildly complex character, I'm willing to give Dean and Sam the benefit of the doubt. What a fun show. Can't wait to see more!

No comments:

Post a Comment