Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Reflections: House 7.01 "Now What?"

So did you totally see that House premiere? I did, and I can't tell if the writers are screwing with me or not.

Recently, I wrote a Reflections piece about Bones, in which I mused that uncertainty is a good thing, particularly for shows with lead characters that have unresolved sexual tension. I had kinda figured that House would be throwing away that uncertainty with the season premiere, particularly with the huge drop in viewer numbers compared to last year's (admittedly double-length) episode.

Clearly, I was wrong.

I was rather confused all throughout the House/Cuddy scenes -- not logistically, i knew that they were talking about their relationship and such -- right up until the end. House finally says "I love you", closes the door, and we get that final look. They've now both admitted that they're in love, but know that somehow, this may not work.

This is new territory for House to explore as a show; now that House has officially gone off Vicodin, that card can't be played again. The relationship dynamic between House and Cuddy, however, is largely unexplored territory (unlike Bones, which for all its tongue-in-cheekness about Booth and Brennan has a better idea of how the two leads function as a couple).

In fact, the whole premiere was filled with ambiguity. I had to laugh out loud when Chase said "I'm getting mixed signals" because that's exactly how I felt at that point. Whatever the case, it's clear that House has jumped into full-on character mode, a move that has largely worked for Bones, so I'm enthusiastic about this season of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment