Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Quickie: Tuesday, October 26, 2010

So after doing that "Quick Updates" post... whenever that was (yesterday? Sunday? My days blur together), I was hit with a stroke of genius: why not do a Quickie post every day in order to update my blog readers on my impressions of each episode of each show that I'm watching? Since I don't do detailed reviews of every show I watch, and I don't have a lot of time to get in-depth with Reflections, it's a nice way to throw out my basic reactions to my shows. So without further ado, the first Quickie post of the blog!

Chuck 4.06 "Chuck vs. the Aisle of Terror"

Robert Englund, Linda Hamilton, and a plot that was simultaneously interesting on its own counts and involved with the overarching plot -- that's the Chuck I love. I really dug how we are never really able to know Mommy Bartowski's true motives, merely following her long trail of allegiances. Casey and Morgan continue to shine together, and we seem to have thankfully gotten past the regular Chuck/Sarah relationship angst. FINALLY. Good episode, minus the forgettable Buy More plot.

How I Met Your Mother 6.06 "Baby Talk"

The wacky Family Guy-esque cutaways worked here, where Lily and Marshall debate over baby names becomes metaphorical for the pounds of responsibility that's gonna slap them in the face when said baby finally gets here (note: soon, please -- this story isn't as interesting as you think it is, Bays & Thomas). Prize-winning story here was the Ted/Robin/Barney stuff, though -- particularly coming back to Robin's fierce independence and the contrasts drawn between Ted and Barney. Not the best episode of the season to date, but a mighty fine one nonetheless.

House 7.05 "Unplanned Parenthood"

Unusual case paired with fun baby antics, House-style. The case was cool -- House has done babies before, but never ones that are barely out of the womb. It is a bit of a rehash (mommy and baby affecting each other was done in an earlier season of House, can't remember which off the top of my head), but the House/Wilson/Rachel story was enough to keep me hooked for the parallels. Less interesting was the on-going search for a female doctor. I liked Dr. Chang, but I once again had the feeling that she would be as disposable as Foreman's pick. The problem with trying to make this story a C-plot is a) we know Amber Tamblyn's on the way and b) we know Olivia Wilde's back soon enough. Spare me the minute details of the in-between stuff, please. Otherwise, solid episode of House, especially that last shot -- I laughed out loud.

Caprica 1.14 "False Labor"

I'll have a full review of this later, but in brief: love the Sam story, digging Amanda a little more, digging Daniel a lot more. I really love seeing how Zoe continues to be the dominating presence of the show even when she's not in the episode -- that her death and subsequent avatar resurrection continues to haunt the Graystones is partially telling of how significant that death was. Even Joe Adama can't let Daniel forget. Another solid episode in the bag -- one more and we might be back to epic levels of awesome for this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment